Celebrating 100 years
St Marys Cement is proud to be celebrating a milestone: 100 years in business.
St Marys Cement was founded in 1912 in the town of St. Marys, Ontario by John Lind and Alfred Rogers. Together they led a small group of investors in building a 2 kiln, 180 tonne per day cement plant at a cost of $250,000 . St. Marys is known as the Stonetown and the first settlers arrived there in the early 1840s, attracted by the area's natural resources. At the town site, the Thames River cascaded over a series of limestone ledges, providing the power to run the first pioneer mills. In the riverbed and along the banks, limestone was close to the surface and could be quarried for building materials. The founders Lind and Rogers capitalized on this natural raw material, and grew their business to be a major producer of cement in the province of Ontario.
St Marys Cement is one of the oldest cement companies in North America and a major producer of cementitious related materials in the Great Lakes Region. The company expanded over the past century and now it has four cement plants, strategically located to serve Canadian and U.S. customers around the Lakes. Today St Marys Cement is the cornerstone of the North American operations of Votorantim Cimentos, a Brazilian company, based in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
We are excited to be hosting anniversary celebrations later in the year with our employees, customers, suppliers and local communities. Our family of remarkable employees are proud of our past accomplishments, and are looking forward enthusiastically to the challenges that the next 100 years will bring.. To all our loyal customers and business partners – thank you.